Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Fate and the SLC

So this morning, Jess and I very reluctantly packed up our stuff in four very large pieces of luggage, loaded it into Mom’s Suburban, and made our way to the SLC airport, normally a pretty friendly place.

During our long distance dating days, I got to be real familiar with the joint. And I actually really liked it, even when I was delayed, because no matter what, I was on my way to Jess.

And while I appreciate that I’m actually with Jess this time, today I’m not so much in love with the SLC International.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 2:25 p.m. And well folks, it’s 5:00 p.m. And the best part is that just five minutes ago, Jess got a message on his phone from an American Airlines representative letting him know that our flight was delayed. Oh really? I was wondering why I was starting to smell like the airport, why my face is getting that “I’ve been sitting and waiting forever” kind of sheen, and why I’m getting hungry enough that grabbing a handful of the little banana peppers at the Quizno’s dressing bar (dangerously close to my seat) is actually a temptation.

So now we get to sit here and reflect upon the injustices of flight travel. While it can be handy and relatively speedy, there are days like this that make you realize that sometimes Fate knows where you belong, and it seems that today Fate is trying to keep us home.

I, for one, appreciate Fate’s efforts, despite the fact that it leaves me stuck in this concrete enclosure full of funny smells and weird shoes (I’ve been paying particular attention to the variety of boots and Uggs that exist. Pretty astounding really.) But I suppose I can handle a few more minutes of this beautiful state, even if it’s through the window of SLC International.

I’ll miss you Utah. (If I am able to extract myself from this seat should the opportunity ever present itself.)

(Post note: We finally made it back to Durham. At 2:30 a.m. And if I’m being honest, when I stepped through the sliding doors of the Raleigh-Durham airport, it was rather refreshing to breathe in a deep gulp of that foliage-infused air. So maybe home can be in more than one place. :) )

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails