Monday, January 28, 2008

Goings

Yesterday marked the passing of one of the world's greatest. I never actually met him, never shook his hand. The closest I ever got was sitting on the ninth row at the conference center. And even when sitting in that proximity, you still tend to look at the monitors for a better view anyway. But the funny thing is, I feel like I knew him. No matter how distracted I may have been during Conference broadcasts, I always tuned in for his message. It seemed that my Conference antennae couldn't help but tune me in when he stood to address us.

I'll miss his cane nodding in the air, telling us hello. I'll miss that up-and-down hand as he so simply and eloquently advised and spoke. And I'll miss the simple peace that came from being in the same room with him. And there was just something so powerful about the swell of love that came as he entered a room - everyone on their feet, simultaneously beginning, "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet."

How grateful I am for his life well lived, his example, his service. The DNews reported that he passed "surrounded by family." I don't think it's too hard to imagine that he was likely surrounded on both sides. :)

Until we meet again, as he would likely say. :)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Very eloquently put Shaunts (no surprise there!) Your blog is actually how I found out about his passing. Thank you for your words and inspiring me to share my own feelings. Miss you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails