Friday, June 20, 2008

etched in wood


So these prayer tablets are some of my favorite things (you might have seen them on the blog previously - I snap at them a lot). Almost all of the Buddhist shrines have a collection of them just outside their entrances. I think they look so striking as they hang together, hundreds of prayers actually visibly penned on wood, mingling with one another.

I think it might be something like our spoken prayers, all criss crossing airwaves as we speak and think them aloud together, but also very distinct from one another, and each singularly recognized.

To offer prayer at a Buddhist shrine, you simply buy your wood tablet (they cost about $5), write your prayer and wishes, and hang it up. I myself have bought two prayer tablets.

And I respectfully said "Amen" aloud as I dropped them in my backpack. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails