Monday, June 30, 2008

masking it

So I've figured out why you see Asians with face masks. It's actually not to protect themselves from E.coli, mad cow disease, asthma, or other airborne diseases. Nor do they employ the flimsy paper thing to ward off impending germs of their hovering neighbor on the subway.

Actually, they use face masks to mask the aromas of Hong Kong. I expected the smell in Tokyo, but apparently they've got some smell control measures in place (I'm thinking ginormous Glade freshners in the sewers). However, Hong Kong is making up for the lack of smell I've thus far experienced. It's like decades of decay with layers of mildew as the city can't possibly ever dry off. And the open air meat markets (they chop it off the bone right then and there for you) definitely add to the aroma.

And I'll probably be talking about this for the next four weeks, but this is the single most warm and humid climate I have ever experienced. Today Jess and I went downtown to explore our new city, and about five minutes into it, I was ready to rip my clothes off (see this post for details on my toleration of heat).

It started to rain a bit, and I was like, "Thank heaven for this acid rain - it sure is nice and cool."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails