Monday, June 16, 2008

peace and happiness


So you know when you go to Disneyland and you see all the Asians taking their pictures, flashing the peace sign? Like for every single picture? I've always wondered why. I mean, I'm all for peace, but really - what does flashing the sign really do? And why in every single picture?

Well, yesterday, our tour guide told us that the peace sign is actually not a peace sign in Japan. It's a happy sign. It's like saying you're happy, wishing happiness. It has nothing to do with peace here. So all these Japanese with their two fingers perpetually in the air (yes, they do it here too) are actually not peaceful Asians.

They're happy Asians. Really happy. Picture after picture. After picture. :)

3 comments:

The Isoms said...

I finally have a second to comment! Love all the posts! How nice to have family visit, so you don't have to tourist around by yourself!
BTW-I never knew that the peace sign meant HAPPY! I like that better!

melancholyjune said...

I must say the Japanese rock! You're becoming more Japanese than you think.

Sare said...

I had a mission companion from Taiwan who always did the little peace sign/happy sign thing too, but she'd always do it with one finger glued to her face (not LITERALLY, but ya know, one finger right on her cheek.) I wonder if that's just a Taiwanese thing- let me know if you assess anything different from the Japanese methods of outward happiness...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails