Wednesday, July 23, 2008

missing child

So yesterday I took the fam to Ocean Park. (I was wondering if Purgatory had any variation in temperature.) As it turns out, the weather was a little better, so although I was dripping, I kept saying, "Wow, what a nice day," to which my family (also dripping) would snort in my general direction then duck into the nearest air conditioned gift shop.

Anyhow, while we were wandering around, my sister Rissa and dad wanted to go on a rollercoaster. After my first concussion inducing experience (Jess is still dizzy, if anyone was wondering - his diagnosis is vertigo), I thought I might just wait it out, and my mom and sister Danielle decided to sit in the shade and drink orange-mango slushy with me. So we sit down on this stair that is not a bench (because all our best friends are sitting on the benches and not willing to share with us) and wipe at our damp faces, waiting for the sun to disappear behind a cloud. When I saw a bench open up, I shouted, "Look a bench in the shade! Run!" So we did.

And we waited for like ten sweaty minutes while the other two rode a smaller (but nevertheless rickety and surely unsafe by American standards) rollercoaster. When they were done (the report was that it was pretty fun and that actually their brains felt fine), we stood up to gather our gear and go to the log ride as sister Danielle was pretty much ready to jump in the ocean. I went to reach for Jess' camera, his baby, his most favorite toy. Which I had left at the first step. I ran back to the step fully expecting it to be gone, as it indeed was. Then as quick as you can say "I don't want to die because I lost my husband's camera," I had located the Lost and Found on the map, which of course was at the bottom of three escalators as big as this one featured in the picture.

Customarily, you ride down these, as walking will just induce more rivers of perspiration down your neck, but run I did. And after lots of "Excuse me," "Excuse me, please," and "Move or I'll poke your eye out after I kick you in the shin, please," I made it to the Lost and Found, where of course there was no camera waiting. So I filled out a missing item report. Then Mr. HK Security got on his walkie talkie and said something and told me to wait. (I'm told at this point my dad was sitting in the corner debating whether or not he had any responsibility in the loss of the camera. Apparently, after that argument with himself, it was determined that actually he couldn't find any way that he was responsible and would therefore be exempt from the purchase of a new Hong Kongian digital camera. ;) )

So I'm standing there with glazed over eyes thinking, "Well thank goodness he uploaded all his pictures this morning. At least all I lost was a thousand dollar piece of equipment. Maybe I'll sell one of my legs and buy him a new one," when Mr. HK Security says, "I found a camera....I don't know if it ziz yourz, but..." Yeah right. You're telling me that the same people who artfully unscrewed my Sprite Zero that was in my shoulder bag while we were in line are the same people who turned in my camera? Sure.

And then Mr. HK Security #2 walked in with my husband's baby.

Jess and I are still married, if anyone was wondering. And I've informed him that I won't be taking his camera anymore as I don't think it too wise to test the honesty of these people more than once.

Plus, I'm kind of attached to my legs.

1 comment:

jaesi said...

as Napolean Dynamite would say.....LUCKYYYYY!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails