Tuesday, July 1, 2008

the silver lining


So we quite quickly started picking up on differences between Hong Kong and Tokyo. There were the obvious ones - the general bad smell, the dirty streets, the not so customer service oriented establishments, the shirtless men (can you blame 'em?) - but we have found a pleasant difference.

In Tokyo, there's a persistent, general haze or continual cloud cover. I can honestly recall a single day, as in one, that I saw blue sky continually throughout the day. And while I'm wondering now if it wasn't that haze that protected me from extreme heat, it did often leave me desperately searching for some sky. But in Hong Kong, that baby blue is frequent, if not always, and the clouds are just as beautiful. They roll through quite rapidly - it's quite the dance in the sky if you pause to watch it. The darks mixing with the white puffies, the sun lighting up the edges.

Guess there's a reason we look for a "silver lining" - because that's what I've literally found.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails