Wednesday, August 20, 2008

conjunction functions


So I've been thinking. And I'm wondering if some of you are questioning my use of conjunctions, as I noticed my frantic use of them in the below post. (Conjunctions: and, but, or, nor, for, so, yet.) And while some of you probably cringe every time I use one of these at the beginning of the sentence (as I've done just for you in the last two sentences), I just wanted to let you know that I am - in fact - aware of my usage.

Some of you know that I love anything that has anything to do with words. I took my English major a step further and minored in Editing, a rare little gem for the resume. I study words, gobble them up, criticize when they're improperly used. And I also know how to misuse them on purpose. I've long believed that once you've mastered an English "rule," be it one of grammar, usage, or punctuation, you then have permission to do with it as you please. Because if you're aware of its function (or non-function) within a sentence, chances are, you will use it (mostly) intelligently. Often, I like to think that my use of conjunctions actually aids in the whole of what I'm writing. But always, I know that I'm doing it.

Another example: some schools of usage tell you that you should never use the "serial comma," that is, the final comma found in a series, as in:

I ate cookies, cake, and brownies.

That comma before the "and" is often nixed. However, other schools use it. I happen to know which guides use it, and depending on what I'm editing, I delete or add as appropriate. And you'll probably notice that I use it when it's my own writing. I just think it makes things cleaner.

So my point: I apologize if my use of "and" or "but" at the first of sentences makes you squint your eyes and try not to look. But be assured that I know I'm doing it.

Also, now would be a good time to let you know that many usage guides have relinquished the honored spot of a conjunction as merely a connector within a sentence. It is actually championed as a sentence beginner these days. As the New Fowler's Modern English Usage Guide states: "There is a persistent belief that it is improper to begin a sentence with And, but this prohibition has been cheerfully ignored by standard authors from Anglo-Saxon times onwards. An initial And is a useful aid to writers as the narrative continues."

Yes, it is now time to go back to first grade and tell your teacher, "I told you so." And start using those conjunctions freely my friend.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails