Thursday, August 13, 2009

off to college

She's six weeks old today. She's so big. Ginormous really. When I look at her, I see an adult. If I look long enough, she's all of the sudden off to college. Her thighs are thick ("Thunder thighs!!" according to Dad), her cheeks chubby. I miss my little, tiny, fresh from the hospital baby, those incredibly quiet, tender days of wonderment, but at the same time, I continue to love every day. I love that her big eyes are learning to follow my voice, her neck turning from one side to the other in an effort to move her face next to mine when I burp her. She still loves to eat all day (every 2-3 hours), but she's starting to go for 5-7 hours at night, leaving me somewhat uncoordinated at odd hours of the night wondering where my baby is and why I haven't heard from her yet. Her little hands are getting more coordinated - she avoids her face and reaches at mine instead. She giggles and smiles, especially when her belly is full.

So as my little newborn grows into her 0-3 months clothes, part of me is sad, sad that she can't stay miniature forever. But another part of me cherishes every new day. I feel so grateful to be a part of her growth, to watch her learn and grow. I cherish every grunt (she goes by Grunts Alot these days), every sweet little sigh as she sleeps. I know that someday these grunts will turn to groans, her sighs to screams at the injustices of her teenage life, but for now, she is small. And her growth is beautiful.


3 comments:

Marissa said...

she's already bigger than when you left!!

Melanie said...

She's precious :-) We can't wait to meet her. When do you get back? Safe travels...

The Isoms said...

I can't believe she is already 6 weeks! Time flies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails