Wednesday, January 13, 2010

haiti in my heart

Tonight, my heart is in Haiti.

As I handed Belle chunks of bread (she's definitely my daughter, the way this girl can consume bread), on the TV screen, the image of a man carrying a tiny infant out of the rubble flashed by. Something inside me cried out for that man, that small baby. The baby is surely still nursing, and the image didn't show a mom anywhere near. I wanted to hand that man a canister of Belle's formula, the piece of bread I was carelessly breaking in pieces. I wished desperately that even for a few seconds I could somehow reach through the TV and help feed that baby.

My heart hurts.

I turned to lds.org and my heart was somewhat warmed to read that relief is already underway, including supplies for newborns, and I just have to hope that the small baby I saw on TV gets some of that relief. Suddenly, the service nights we have as a regular part of our church activities, which often seem quite routine, seem unbelievably important.

I have Haiti in my heart.

1 comment:

jaesi said...

so sweet Shauntel.
I hope something good comes from everyones heartache.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails