Thursday, November 14, 2013

books books books


So is anyone else Christmas shopping? I've got a few boxes full of goodness downstairs. And I maybe go downstairs at least a few times a week just to look at the Christmas that awaits. I'm kind of giddy already. I love Christmas with babies around. So magical. :) 

One gift Santa always givesour girls is a book. Or two. Or maybe five. I use Christmas as an epic excuse to buy books. I customarily get each girl a book she's grown to love over the year (from library visits) and then one book that I think she will love. And then sometimes a few more. Because books. That's why. I have two reading obsessed kids, including Lou. Does anyone remember when she was still barely big enough to crawl and she'd lug books around with her all day? The best. And Miss Annabelle just received her early reading certificate from preschool (she was sooo proud, as were her parents).

So I thought I'd share a few of our favorites. For each book I'll give you an idea of content so you can have an idea of whether or not your kids would sit through it. I know mine have a book reading age threshold - before they cross it, they can barely sit through a short board book. Then suddenly they cross the threshold and can sit for hours while I read. Books, books, books. I'm raising nerds. And I love it. :)

So here it goes (click the book for a link to Amazon):


Extra Yarn (written by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen)
+ Probably too long for little babies, but for super readers (listeners) it would work.
+ Charming story, amazing illustrations. About a girl named Annabelle with a magic box of yarn. So duh. :)


Bear Has a Story to Tell (written by Philip C. Stead, illustrated by Erin E. Stead)
+ Longer than a board book, but not terribly. 
+ Darling story with literary panache. Incredible illustrations that make the animals seem alive. Lovely circle of events. Must read.


I Like It When (written and illustrated by Mary Murphy)
+ Great for any age, including tiny. 
+ Simple board book with "I like it when" phrases on each spread. We like to act out each phrase ("I like it when you hug me tight.")
+ I often give this book for a gift. It's always a winner.


Roadwork (written by Sally Sutton, illustrated by Brian Lovelock)
+ Great for any age. (We have the board book - much more...loveable.)
+ Rhyming scheme is epic and catchy. Onomatopoeia is kind of amazing. Super fun read.


Who Wants An Old Teddy Bear? (written and illustrated by Ginnie Hofmann)
+ Probably wouldn't entertain a newborn, but it's fairly short.
+ I bought this last year and had to track down a used version. It appears that there has been a reprint though (this cover is slightly different than the original, and Amazon is offering it). That said, a used version will probably be cheaper (mine was like a dollar).
+ I had this book as a child (it was published in 1978). But I find it's message timeless and so incredibly cute.


Bears on Chairs (written by Shirley Parenteau, illustrated by David Walker)
+ Great for any age. 
+ This book is so cute it's practically perfect. Addicting rhyme scheme, darling illustrations, and the cutest little lesson.
+ Grab the board book version for indestructability. 


Chrysanthemum (written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes)
+ Definitely for bigger babies. Lou loves it, but she's really good at sitting for long stories.
+ If you're hormonal or an emotional momma, this might make you tear up. It's the most tender book ever.



And just for kicks, here are our Christmas lists - this and last year.

2012
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? (sliding board book version)

2013

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails