Thursday, November 8, 2007

Heal the World

So at our apartment complex, there’s a garbage dumpster that the entire complex uses. As such, it is regularly overflowing with garbage. Its backdrop is a wall of trees, in which a few cats have taken up residence as there is an abundance of free food to be found.

Now, I don’t like cats. Never have. I’m definitely a dog person. Even though they bark and yip, even though they might smell bad and shed from time to time, I love dogs. They make such good friends. My dog at home actually curls her mouth up in a smile when she sees me. How can you not feel good about that? But cats? Not only do they smell bad and shed, but they’re not even nice. They just arch their backs and rub up against you. Ew.

However, although I don’t like cats, I do have a very tender spot in my heart for any living creature, especially those that are cold and hungry. There's no snow here yet, but the humid air makes the dipping temperatures feel pretty chilly to me. And last time I tried it, burrowing a hole in dead leaves for a bed wasn't too warm. Not to mention uncomfortable. So, yes, I've been feeling really sad for the cats.

So tonight when Jess and I deposited our garbage and recycled goods, my husband, probably tired of hearing how sad I was about the poor, cold cats, suggested that I make them a home. He helped me find a box, suggested I water seal it with plastic and duct tape, and off I went.



(Oh, I'm sorry, did someone not put on makeup today? Or do her hair? Lovely. :) )

So although I may not be a cat person, it makes me feel a little better that the cute little (snobby) cats have a warm place to curl up if they want to.

(And if that doesn’t work, Jess said I could buy a plastic crate and chain it to the ground. I love him. :) )

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails