Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Humour Me

So at GSK, things are done in British English. (They're headquartered in the UK, locations all over the world, my director is Irish.) As the new editor on board, I'm learning to flick the editing switch when it comes to the use of the letter "Z" as well as some other funny British usages (programme anyone?) and quotation marks inside the period. (Talk about reversing my education.)

Now, I really didn't think it would be too much of a problem. I mean, I practically have a second minor in British Lit. I've seen my fair share of funny spelled words. I wrote my best paper on my BFF Jane. (That would be Austen.)

So I was sure my boss had committed a typo when I came across this beaut: LICENCE.

However, my gut told me I should look it up. (Always trust your editing gut.) So I did. And, come to find out - licence is a word. It looks hideous, but that's how those in the mother land spell our license.

I guess there really is more to England than Collin Firth.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails