Tuesday, May 20, 2008

at home

So it's Day Three, and it's already feeling much like home, which I really didn't expect to happen so soon. I guess in a way, it's because I was pleasantly surprised. Our apartment is bigger than I thought it would be (just ignore the insanely strong fish smell when you walk in the stairwell), and it reminds me of a New York or D.C. Just cleaner. And much more friendly. And they drive on the wrong side of the road. I wish desperately that I spoke at least a little Japanese, but they're so patient and kind anyhow.

Today was Jess' first day at work. He's working at a law firm called City Yuwa, which is located in downtown Tokyo, just across from the Imperial Palace. This morning, I "walked" him to work (we rode the subway - please picture a bunch of men in suits and me, in my runners and shorts) and then hopped on the Palace trail and ran home. Despite my oh-so sore legs from all the walking, and the blustery weather we had this morning, it was beautiful. It's so green here, and it hasn't gotten hot quite yet. I imagine it's relatively miserable when it gets hot, as I already sort of just have perma damp skin from the water in the air.

But I'm loving it here. I ventured out on my own today to find a "dollar store" (which involved a line change on the subway, thank you very much). These are much like our dollar stores, but they're huge - this one was four stories. Our apartment came equipped with the basics, but there are a few things we need, and if you buy in Tokyo, you pay much more than it's worth, plus your first born child. So I went and found some cheap towels and such. And then I might have stumbled down a side street of little boutiques ideal for perusing and experiencing with my newly found yen. :)

I put together a little slide show of our first few days. There are, of course, many more pictures, but I tried to be selective for your sake. :) At the first, you'll see the little street we live on (we're that first balcony above the red car), and at the end, just after the working man, the red brick building is where Jess works. And then just some random shots of Tokyo that we've taken as we've been out and about.

So it's strange. But this crowded place is fast becoming home. I'm grateful and feel very lucky. It's truly the experience of a lifetime. I hope I can remember that. And enjoy this home while I have it. :)

2 comments:

The Harrises said...

Oh my! I'm so glad you made it alright. I was just checking in to see that you haven't been lost or frightened. The pictures are beautiful. I just wish I were there to hang out with you, minus my three kids. I changed my mind, the kids could come and provide entertainment.
What an amazing experience you'll have. Can't wait for my updates.

The Isoms said...

Great slide show! I loved it! Looks like a great place to visit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails