Wednesday, May 7, 2008

zion inspired thoughts

1. So I'm not made to exercise. I don't think I'm genetically designed for it. I decided this today when Jess and I were hiking in Zion. You see, years ago, I decided to reverse the track that my genes were destined to follow, and I adapted my body to run. I taught it how to press through mile after mile. And after years of practice, many of my sentences now begin with, "So this morning when I was running," and I've developed a love of running. But my point is, it was a learned behavior.

This whole hiking thing? Okay, I actually like it. But only when the sun isn't making me sweat profusely. It was at that point today, sweating it out as I climbed a never ending trail, that I determined that I'm not genetically set up to exercise. Plain and simple.

2. Speaking of sweat. So I was sweating bullets as I hiked up the never ending path of Hidden Canyon Trail. And as I wiped the sweat from my dripping brow, I noticed my hands were a sort of orange hue. Hello Jergen's Natural Glow. Glow gone. :)

3. Speaking of the Hidden Canyon Trail. So you hike a mile uphill to Hidden Canyon. Well, it gets you to the mouth of Hidden Canyon. But then the adventuresome souls can take to scaling cliffs and jumping off slippery slate to continue up the slot canyon. Well, I got tired of ascending, and Jess decided he just wanted to see a "little" further. A half hour later, I began to panic and started up the canyon in search of my husband. I came to a sort of end, and turned back as there was no redhead in sight. I figured he had continued up the cliff that I didn't want to attempt (as my stupid tendon is way temperamental).

But that didn't stop me from having a full blown panic attack - tears, shaking, the whole bit.

If anyone was wondering, I really, really, really like my husband. And I'm glad he came back alive and had simply lost track of time. And I'm glad that we're now clear on the "leaving the wife behind for long amounts of time in a lonely slot canyon" rules.

4. Speaking of slot canyons. Okay, not really. But we did find this lizard (not in a slot canyon) that was a serious poser. We took pictures of him for a good ten minutes, with our camera no more than a foot away from him.


5. Even though I'm no longer speaking to Achilles, and even though I sweated off my glow, I have to admit that I have been spoiled. I've lived in St. George most of my life, surrounded by some of the most stunning landscapes on this earth. And being so surrounded sort of made me forget they were even there. It was a beautiful day today, especially seeing the day through Jess' eyes, who didn't get to grow up in the shadow of Zion.

What a beautiful earth we have the privilege of hiking (and sweating) all over. :)







2 comments:

littlered said...

Did you really have a panic attack!? Oh I think that is so cute, and kind of funny, sorry girl :) Pictures look amazing as usual!

Shauntel said...

Oh, for real. I thought he was just going to be gone for a few minutes. And it took me a good twenty minutes to get to the point that I didn't want to go any further, so it had been a good hour - I had no idea where he was. I'm such a big baby. Totally attached to that man! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails