Wednesday, June 11, 2008

supersize shauntel

So years ago, I watched Supersize Me. And I stopped eating McDonald's. I didn't eat fast food altogether for quite a while, but Wendy's spicy chicken eventually crept back into my life. But McDonald's. Not a chance.

And then I came to Tokyo. Where McDonald's is a whole new world:

1. The customer service is insane. It's like they've been waiting all day to wrap up your burger, just for you.
2. It's a little bit of home. American fast food isn't too big here - they only have McDonald's and a few scattered Wendy's. We're told that Taco Bell has made a few goes, but the Japanese people just "don't get it." What do you mean - it's not normal to put a bunch of junk in a tortilla, roll it up, and consume it?
3. We're pretty sure that they put illegal addictive substances in their hamburgers. I mean, really. I am not a hamburger person. Unless I personally watch the person cook it on the grill (and when I say cook, I mean char), I don't really want any part of a hamburger, especially a McDonald's pre processed patty. Sick. But I'm telling you what - these Japanese do something to their burgers. They're addicting and they're delicious. They seriously taste different (and when I say different, I mean good) than their American counterparts.

So now when Jess asks if I'd like McDonald's, it's not so much a question of whether I do or not, as it is of which tasty morsel I'll consume from the dollar menu (did I mention the twisty cone?).

Supersize me Japanese style, baby.

6 comments:

The Harrises said...

Just to let you know...your blog is like my morning paper. I put you on Google reader and anytime you post something new, I'm there. You are my personal tour guide for Japan. Keep it up, you're feeding my brain.

jaesi said...

If I think cheeseburgers are already good here....then I MUST go to Japan. nice.

Shauntel said...

Thanks Mic. You're so sweet - I'm loving it here and love writing about it. And I'm looking forward to Hong Kong so I can buy us some seriously excellent knock offs. (Tokyo is just expensive all around. I need Hong Kong!) :)

melancholyjune said...

I think they put seaweed in the burgers. Have you eaten at Moss Burger? That is a Japanese ff staple. Just don't eat KFC. Eew. ooh and try seafood pizza and let me know. i'm still majorly jealous you're there but I love reading baout your experiences. I've never been to Nippon as an adult.

The Harrises said...

OK-so I'm subbing in Relief Society on Sunday, and I'm going to use you as an example in my lesson as "immersing oneself in a culture". I'm sure that's alright, and if it isn't, what are you going to do, come over here and hit me?

Shauntel said...

Yup, hit you with my continental paddle. :) Of course use me as an example - I feel so special! Be sure to tell them that I use a squatter on a regular basis, even though I find the whole concept rather disgusting. :)

I'm so sad I'm missing you teach!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails