Saturday, July 5, 2008

i present...your buddhas

Alright - I've covered three big ol' Buddhas in my time in Asia. Before you read below, I present to you your Buddha candidates. Here they are, in no particular order. Choose your favorite before continuing to the text portion.



From left to right: Buddha A, Buddha B, and Buddha C.

Buddha A: Buddha A was built in 1252. He's constructed of bronze, weighs almost 100 tons, and makes his home in Kamakura, Japan. Buddha A used to be housed in a temple, but his surroundings were washed away by a tsunami in 1498, so he now he resides in the great outdoors. Buddha A is hollow, and for a mere (approximately) twenty cents, you can have a look inside - he has windows in his back to look out.



Buddha B: Buddha B is located in Nara, Japan and comes in as the largest Buddha in Japan at 500 tons. In approximately 743, construction began on Buddha B, with an estimated 2,600,000 people helping in the construction. Buddha B is also constructed of bronze, and due to financial hardship, earthquake, sickness, and fire, took roughly ten years to complete and nearly bankrupted the country of Japan. In his temple, one of the posts has a hole in it. School children like to squeeze through - if they make it through, they'll have blessings in heaven. It's also said that the hole is as large as Buddha B's nostril.


Budda C: Buddha C is located in Hong Kong on Lantau Island. To reach this bronze Buddha, you must climb 263 steps. Buddha C is also without an enclosure and is the world's tallest, outdoor, seated Buddha. He is the youngest Buddha, coming in at fifteen years old (construction was completed in 1993) and weighs 250 tons. To get to Buddha C, you can ride a gondola, which offers 360 degree views of him and the beautiful mountain scenery he calls home.


Now which is your favorite?

In my opinion: Buddha C is actually quite striking, but some of his glitter wears off when you realize that he's just a youngun' and hasn't been through much yet. Buddha B was just all enclosed and cramped, and I'm pretty sure he was suffering from a case of claustrophobia. I have to say that my hat still goes off to Buddha A. He's old, he's withstood some serious weather, and he was the first one I saw, which sort of just predisposes my preferences. Also, I like how he's meditating and not giving me the hand. I appreciate that. :) This is also where I bought my slipper charm, which seems to be working great as my leg is still going strong.

But then again - they're all beautiful places of worship. I feel lucky to have caught them all, to have had the chance to actually compare them. I realize it's not every day you get to see a big ol' Buddha, and I mean that sincerely.

1 comment:

The Harrises said...

I picked Buddha A as well before reading the following. I took my voting very seriously and wavered back and forth between the others. I liked that he appeared more peaceful and humble than the others.
Congrats on the tripod. We've enjoyed viewing your pictures. You're on the countdown to returning home. I will be going home on Wednesday to see the ol' family. I haven't been home for 2yrs so the kids and I are excited.Maybe we'll run into you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails