Friday, August 15, 2008

back to life, back to reality

So somehow, our summer of adventure has pretty much come to an end (we touch down in NC tomorrow). Our belongings have multiplied and replenished, and I'm pretty sure we won't be able to stuff our fans, chopsticks, and wooden dolls into the original luggage that accompanied us here.

In a way, I'm totally sad. But in another world, I'm feeling the puzzle pieces of the organized life I once knew coming back together. I thrive in an orderly and extremely structured environment. And when I boarded the first flight that began this summer, I threw organization to the wind and embraced the unpredictable life that I knew awaited me. It was totally worth it - this summer has been incredible. It has changed me, changed us. And I still crave Tokyo air.

But it will be nice to have my bed back, to reclaim my body (this extra Asian weight is really not funny - but then I remember the delicious Japanese pastries and breads that contributed to this "food baby" and I really can't complain). It will be nice to get back into the regular ebb and flow that was my life. In some ways, we both miss the unknown of every day that we awakened to every morning all summer. But I think in other ways, we're both looking forward to a little bit of normal.

So here's to our Asian Summer Adventure. And to life, both in this country and the other (Japan, the only other country). :)

PHOTO: Your favorite Asian tourists in Nikko, Japan.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails