Saturday, August 2, 2008

a few things

1. So I can't watch the news or read CNN too often because in some strange way, it gets way too personal. It's like I project whatever is happening on the news into my life or somehow feel the sadness I would feel if it were happening to me. And if I hear that a book is super sad or depressing, I simply won't read it because I'll do the same thing - I'll make it personal. No matter how much my sisters-in-law beg me to read "My Sister's Keeper," it's not going to happen. Watching them collapse in a heap of ridiculous sobs as they finished is reason enough to know that I can skip it. Why would I voluntarily sign up to feel so dejected?

And when I saw the previews for Dark Knight, I thought to myself, "Hmmmm....that looks extraordinarily dark, won't be seeing that." However, I ended up seeing it. And I wasn't dreading it too much as I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to movies and everyone I know, plus their best friend's cousin, has been gushing about how amazing it is. Problem is, it was dark, disturbing, and depressing.

To me. I realize that some of you love it. But beyond the hype of Heath Ledger's amazing portrayal of the Joker (by the way, for those of you who don't religiously read People.com when you're stuck in Asia, Heath Ledger passed away recently), the movie was the kind that I prefer to avoid. In fact, I end up feeling all sorts of hurt for a man who has been so messed up that he has turned into someone like the Joker. Instead of hating him or enjoying his performance, I tear up as I think about how much he must be hurting.

So I've learned something - always go with your gut. I thought the movie would push all the wrong buttons, including those that make me hurt, but I saw it anyhow. And I know that I will probably go down as one of two people who didn't enjoy the movie (Jess being the other one), but my point is - go with your gut.

2. Also, for those of you who are in the vampire club, you're probably getting to this post three days after I post it as your nose has been lodged between the pages of the Twilight saga's final installment. (Finally, right?) I've finished the first portion of it. And I hate to say it, but I totally called it. So now I'm fine just chilling until I'm at Lake Powell with nothing to do but wait and see how Stephenie Meyer can possibly twist this story into more of a disaster and thereby prolong the agony a little longer. I still have a bone to pick with her about the fact that it has even stretched to four books. Book three was an ideal time to create a fairy tale ending in my opinion.

3. Tomorrow marks the day that I've been waiting for for quite some time. As I sat in Hong Kong wondering if I could possibly make it one more day, all I had to do was imagine Lake Powell, and somehow I could find the strength to push forward. We'll be there for a glorious week. I'm looking forward to basking and frying the acne that formed en route from Hong Kong to San Franciso. I could seriously feel the grease forming on my forehead while I wasted away in my cramped coach seat. Also, I'm rather excited to find myself on a waverunner again. My wild child is relatively repressed until my fingers wrap themselves around the handles of my most favorite mode of water recreation in the world. You won't find me on skis, waverunners, tubes, anything that is towed.

But if I go missing, don't worry - I'm just headed into the sunset on a waverunner, hair whipping behind me. I'm pretty sure that I consider myself the modern day Pocahontas, waverunner instead of canoe, flip flops instead of bare feet, fuel instead of paddles. But my hair whipping behind me just the same.

And I'll probably be singing too. ;)

3 comments:

Marissa said...

You should especially act out the part where she sings "come run the hidden pine trails of the forest." Probably our favorite part. :)You could run down the beach while you sing it.

Nicole said...

SO jealous you are going to Lake Powell to bask. Welcome back to the US of A! :)

Kristen said...

Good idea Riss :) I will always love Pocahontas, because it is such a good movie but also because it will always remind me of little Nell going "Pocahontas!"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails