Wednesday, September 10, 2008

falling for fall

It rained today. It rained good and hard. It's like Hurricane Hanna hated to leave as wanting, as we did indeed wait all weekend for her, and in the end there were just a few gusts and raindrops to even indicate that she blew through. (We're desperate for entertainment here in Durham - we actually get excited for a tropical storm to knock some trees down, make a little ruckus. Not normal.)

Anyhow, it rained so much today that it cooled us right down. We were sitting at cool, crisp (if you call 97% humidity crisp) 70 degrees. I recently organized my closet so that the shirts run from short sleeve to long (totally normal), and if my closet was big enough I'm pretty sure I would've done cartwheels down its length and then finished with some enthusiastic jumping up and down in front of the long sleeve section.

In the end, I actually didn't wear long sleeves as I'm perpetually warm, and long sleeves for the Human Heater require even cooler temps, but the fact is, there was something in today's rain that smelled of fall. And it made me happy. My favorite season is anything but summer, but particularly fall. I'm so excited that I just made myself a cup of hot chocolate.

Isn't the frothy chocolate at the top of the mug just the very best part?

Welcome fall. I've been waiting for you. My hot chocolate is really excited to see you too, and my long sleeves are nothin' but smiles.

5 comments:

JP and Steph said...

Don't worry, I organize my closet in short to long sleeves too. I even organize my dresses and skirts in color palate and length too. There is something about an organized closet that makes me happy! Maybe it is because the rest of my house isn't organized!?!

littlered said...

I am so excited for Fall! I can't wait to wear sweaters and coats and scarf's- if you can't tell, I am a LOT excited! Not to mention football and basketball! :)

The Harrises said...

Will you tell the leaves to wait until I get back?
You got me thinking, I'm not a winter gal, Fall yes, winter, no.
Also, I like the frothy part of the cocoa, but don't you like eating the dry, sticky, powder right after you put it in your mug? After all, you are a straight up chocolate gal like me.

Shauntel said...

Mic - I arrived in the tail end of October last year and still got plenty of leaves, so hopefully they'll hold out for you. :) (The pic is from last year.)

And yes, you totally called it. The little sticky balls of powder that form at the top of the mug? Probably the best part. It's possible I put in extra just so I can get a few more little balls of cocoa goodness. :)

The Isoms said...

I too CAN NOT wait for long sleeve weather! It has been HOT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails