Tuesday, September 23, 2008

i confess...

...I can't sleep. Got back from U-Tar this evening. Sure wish my body could figure out which time zone to adhere to.

...I like taking my contacts out because my complexion suddenly becomes nigh unto perfection. It's like my eyes' inability to focus takes all the blemishes and blends them into one, giving my skin a sort of Nicole Kidman-eque quality (plus several shades, courtesy of Jergen's Natural Glow).

...I still miss Tokyo. I know you all know that, but I do. Sometimes I feel like I need to go home, but I can't. Because home is on the other side of the globe. And home is really expensive to get to. I loved the respect and dignity of the country, the quietness I was allowed to slip through, unnoticed even as a tourist. Because even from subway to subway, the loudest sounds you hear come from the train you're on, not the people you're sitting with. It's a learned behavior I think, to respect one another, even to respect the sound around you. And the quietness of that country helps you be more aware of where you are, of what you're looking at. It has a way of helping you take it all in.

When Sis Kris and I went to the Museum of Natural Life and Science in Raleigh last weekend, I spotted a Japanese doll (one of these) from a mile away and ran to the case and hugged it. And when I picture myself back on those precisely clean and organized Tokyo streets again, I picture myself hugging the very air I'm breathing in.

1 comment:

Snailbug said...

Oh man. I'm totally with you on the contacts out thing. Sometimes after I take my contacts out (and I'm nearly legally blind) I just think, "Well now, aren't I a pretty lady." But I know I'm kidding myself. Fun, anyway.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails