Monday, November 3, 2008

i can't hear you

"Nother" is a word. Its use is of the informal variety, but it shows up in dictionaries, nonetheless.

I think I might cry.

I've been hearing this usage on TV, and every time, I cringe and close my eyes until the nightmare has passed and people have started speaking normal English again.

I get where this comes from - another. In my own entirely unpassionate opinion, I really feel like the word "another" should not be split into "a" and "nother" by placing a word in between, as in "a whole nother story." It's kind of like someone dragging their fingernails down a chalkboard. A gross, grating separation of syllables that bounces around in my brain, trying to be reconciled, without any success BECAUSE IT'S A FAKE WORD.

If you use the word "nother," I probably still like you. (Probably.) And I probably won't correct you. (Probably.) I can't really, because I have no book evidence to prove you wrong. It's just me and my own personal preferences to keep the language clean and precise.

It's just me against the world. Me against the nothers. And the apostrophe abusers.

But that's a whole OTHER story.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hey Woog, want a banana? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails