Monday, November 24, 2008

a vampire viewing

Saw it.

So of course the book is better. I'm not sure that any cinematic version of the book could compare to the movie in my head. For starters, in my head, Edward is ATTRACTIVE. While he grew on me, I still think he's freaky looking (is the lipstick really necessary?) and totally wrong for the part. The line, "You're like my own brand of heroine," was somewhat comical. Alice on the other hand was lovely: "Oh, you do smell good!" :)

But it was good. Good enough anyhow.

And then I started thinking about all those viewers who haven't read the book. To all those viewers: this movie is going to be pretty strange. There are all sorts of holes that the book fills in. Plus, the romance between the mortal and the vampire is much easier to believe when spread over hundreds of pages instead of about fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes is barely enough time to whip up a batch of cookies let alone bridge the gap between crazy and sane.

The verdict: those of you who read the book will get some satisfaction out of comparing your awesome brain production to the one on screen. Especially if you can do so at matinee price. :) But be forewarned - your version is better. Those who haven't read it, you might be better served by curling up on the couch for a good read of the novel.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails