Thursday, December 18, 2008

snow day

So I was fifteen years old. Almost sixteen, but not quite, and still riding the bus. One morning I woke up to a St. George flurry of snow. When it snowed in St. George, we would literally run out as it was falling, gather it all into a small pile, and make a miniature snowman before it stopped snowing and the sun came out to melt our fun. The snow never stuck.

But on this day, I slipped and slid over the micro inch of slick snow and ice to the bus stop. I was the only one riding the bus to high school at that point (welcome to having a really late birthday, which is really awesome if anyone was wondering), so I stood and chattered, waiting for Mrs. Lotz to cruise up in the dimly lit, foggy, shivering street. She pulled up, slid the door open, and said, "School's closed. Snow day."

I stared at her.

"There's too much snow. You can go home - school's canceled."

I stared at her.

You see, if the snow sticks at all in St. George, UT, school is canceled. People don't know how to drive, including the majority of the drivers - teenagers. So I numbly waved goodbye and slid my way back home. And then I called all my friends to talk about how rad it was that we didn't have to go to school. "Like, oh my gosh!"

In a freak accident of nature, school is canceled again in St. George today. I thought I'd share a little laugh with my Salt Lake family members and friends - this is enough snow to cancel school and shut down the city. Don't you wish you lived there?


By the way, you have to make up snow days. So our first day of summer was also canceled. Didn't so much like the snow day then.

3 comments:

The Harrises said...

My 5th grade teaching mother got to stay home. 17 inches in Diamond Valley is what my aunt measured. I think it's funny how much hype there is. Mat's sister even emailed some pictures. It's a big deal!

JP and Steph said...

We could get two feet of snow and school would still go on in Salt Lake. But lots of kids wouldn't show up!

The Isoms said...

YUP! I remember that day...I was sick with pneumonia and had to brave the freeway with my pops to go to the dr.s!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails