Tuesday, January 13, 2009

pregnancy preferences

So to the right, you will notice my "What I'm Loving," "What I'm Hating," and "What I'm Missing" lists. The fun thing about these lists is they will likely not stay the same for very long. Welcome to my pregnant life.

You've heard that some women have cravings in pregnancy, right? Well, in the first three months I didn't so much have cravings as much as I had aversions. To everything. Every time I ate was WWIII with my head, desperate attempts to convince myself that the spaghetti wouldn't kill me. (No really, it won't.) For a while, I'd settle on something that I could tolerate - Ramen noodles for a while, Spaghettios with Meatballs for a while. But I didn't love them. I merely survived them and recognized that if I ate, I generally felt a little better.

Now that the second trimester has rolled around (and the heavens are still rejoicing about that one), I'm still not so much about cravings as much as I am about FOOD. My appetite is back in full swing. I don't crave strange concoctions as much as I just crave food. (Although I believe ham will never, ever, return to my diet.) Gone are the first month days of gagging at a piece of chocolate. (For real. I did this.) Just like my "real life" (that's what I refer to as my pre-pregnancy days), I get obsessed with a food, eat it like crazy, then move on to the next culinary delight.

I can say that things bug way more than they used to. Cranky pants is my middle name sometimes. Like my bangs. I don't know why I'm hating them. I loved them in my real life. Then a person started growing in my uterus and I hate them now. That's the best explanation I can come up with. So they're currently growing out. Luckily, pre-natal vitamins are causing my hair to literally sprout off my head so this awkward "I don't know if I'm bangs or not" stage will be short.

Anyhow, three cheers for the second trimester and yummy food. Although I'm still not sure the logic of eating for two justifies my consumption of twice as much food, seeing as how number two is roughly the size of my fist.

And if my fist were a person, I don't think it could eat a pan of cookies.

3 comments:

singingrae said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Wow, I'm so excited for you! I don't know how I missed the boat but I didn't know you were expecting until about a minute ago.

I know the 1st trimester is terrible and honestly the whole pregnancy is pretty weird but your very own little baby is absolutely the best thing in the whole world!

Congrats again. :) Love you!
-Rach
P.S. I'm happy to chat with you about all things baby. Equipment, advice, empathy...you name it!

Kelly said...

I finally realized why women are doomed to struggle with weight - we get pregnant and eat a lot, we nurse and eat a lot. We get used to eating a lot and then when we don't have to, we still have to :)

singingrae said...

Amen, Kelly! I swear, I out-eat BJ at practically every meal. It's getting embarrassing! At least I can still blame some of it on McKay but what about in a few months when he's not nursing anymore. Hmmmm...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails