Monday, April 6, 2009

going bananas

So in the first few months of pregnancy, I could eat very few things. I was just so nauseated, and sleeping on the couch was a much more preferred activity. Luckily, at that stage, the baby was as big as my thumb, so it didn't require (or demand) as many nutrients. One of the only things that I could consistently eat, and that in fact I heavily depended on for life support, were bananas. There was more than one occasion when, in the middle of the night, I would wake up sick and starving, stumble to the kitchen, unpeel a banana in the dark, shove it in my mouth, then fall asleep on the couch. I'd wake up in the morning slightly disoriented, run my tongue along my fuzzy, banana residue covered teeth, and notice the banana peel on the floor next to me.

And then I'd go back to sleep.

Now, of course, I can eat almost anything (unless it originates from a Thai kitchen). Problem is, I'm seriously sick of eating. I just want my old appetite back, where I ate regular meals, snuck some chocolate once in a while. Enjoyed every last drop of a Diet Dr Pepper. I'm always hungry, but most food has totally lost its appeal. It's not that I'm sick, it's that I'm sick of eating.

But one thing has remained strong - the banana. I can still eat one at the drop of a hat. I'm also relatively obsessed with banana creations - shakes, bread, cake. I found this recipe online last week and actually forced myself (and the Baby, who I have to say is pretty forceful when it comes to banana food items) to wait until the weekend when we could share the treat with friends. Otherwise, I would've (seriously) consumed the entire pan. (If you are related to me, you know that I'm telling the truth here.) My mom made it a few days before me and sent me sporadic text messages letting me know that her Banana Bar Goodness was melting in her mouth. And she wasn't kidding. This stuff is heaven sent. I eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Also for second dinner.

If you check the ingredients of the frosting, you may be able to guess why my face is slowly widening to the shape of a big, flat, face pancake.

Frosted Banana Bars
1/2 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c white sugar
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 t vanilla
2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 c mashed ripe bananas (I used three)
cream cheese frosting (from store or recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan or one 9x13 pan and an additional 8x8 pan. (I actually just used a 9x13 - it makes a thick cake, which also requires a little longer cooking time.) In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stair in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; stir into the batter. Finally, mix in the mashed banana. Spread evenly into prepared pan(s). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted onto the center comes out clean. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting.

Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened to room temp
1 c white sugar (you can use either granulated or confectioners' sugar - confectioners' tends to dissolve better and not be as grainy, but either works)
1/8 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c heavy whipping cream

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar salt, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Set aside. in another medium bowl, beat shipped cream until stiff peaks form (it helps to use a chilled bowl and chilled beaters). Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Frost to your heart's delight. (And to the delight of my freaking fat face.)

5 comments:

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

this sounds waaaaay better than "frosted pickle bars." ;)

Though I craved OJ my entire pregnancy. I drank (I kid you not) about a gallon a week of Tropicana "no pulp with calcium and vitamin D" ... we were obviously shopping at Costco for it. ;)

We still need to talk hypno my friend...;) I think it's a handy tool to have even if you end up with an epidural (or a spinal and c-section in my case.)

Marissa said...

How about a mashed up banana on a piece of toast? :) I think between me and Grease, we can come up with a Gilmore reference to every post.

Nicole said...

Hey Woog...want a banana? :) Please make this for me when you come to the SLC.

Kelly said...

I can totally relate. I got so sick of food. And I could never eat just one banana. At least two in a row, sometimes three. :)

The Harrises said...

Those do sound good...I better not make them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails