Friday, January 22, 2010

hope for haiti



We watched the Hope for Haiti fundraising event tonight.

My heart felt as though it was cracking when I thought about the babies that didn't have mommies to hold them.

Especially the helpless infants.

I thought about the mommies that have empty arms. It made my arms ache.

My baby, no longer an infant, sat next to me, her hand on my lap, her chest rattling with congestion.

More than once I gathered her - my hope - up in my arms to tell her I loved her.

I kissed her chubby cheeks, breathed in her still-sweet baby smell.

I told Jess we could either adopt a baby or donate some money.

We made a donation.

But I still want a Haitian baby.

I know I can't save all of the world's orphans. But I think I could save one. 

Or at least give it a pair of willing arms to hug away the sadness.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails