Friday, February 12, 2010

be still my heart


So my mom taught me everything I know about cooking and baking. From an early age, I was "helping" her with our nightly meals and more importantly with cookies, cakes, and yummy treats. Snickerdoodles were one of my first specialties. Because she had the foresight to let me "help" her, I now feel pretty competent in the kitchen. In fact, I love being in the kitchen. I love the magic that happens when flavors combine to create something amazing. I love the smells and the sounds. Popping oil, sizzling onions, the Kitchenaid on high. Also, I love eating, so it works out.  (Except when I'm pregnant, in which case all the aforementioned activities that have anything to do with food become ultra revolting, and I eat bananas for nine months straight.)

Most importantly, my mom taught me to cook delicious meals and desserts made more for inhalation than slow consumption without the use of extra apparatuses and fancy finagled contraptions as well. Simply put, we believe in easy - but yummy - recipes. 

I don't own a candy thermometer. AND I STILL MAKE FUDGE and CARAMEL.

With Valentine's around the corner, I thought this was a fun little recipe, and ultra easy. Plus, it has cream cheese frosting, and I sincerely believe that almost everything is better with cream cheese. The recipe is here.

To make the hearts on the cookies, scoop frosting into a large Ziploc bag (or pastry bag if you believe in kitchen accouterments like that). I just cut off the corner of the bag, and squeezed out a few hearts. (I did a practice heart on a plate before piping it onto the cookies.)

They're quick, yummy, and ridiculously cute. And if you have kids, they'll love helping because their hands will turn red. (And their faces and teeth. Mine did. :) )


For more quick and easy recipes, my mom's can be found here. They're our tried and true. And almost all can be whipped up in under an hour. My Kitchen Cafe is also a favorite.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I have to disagree on the cream cheese. I alwyas wonder why people have to ruin perfectly good things by adding that yucky stuff :) But I still love you and your cookies look great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails