Thursday, March 4, 2010

like mini wheats (minus the frosting)


I will be the first to admit that I hoped (if not assumed) the weight I gained during pregnancy would work itself off as easily as it worked itself on. However, it was quickly apparent that this wasn't to be the case. I also didn't realize how difficult it would be to fit a workout into a day full of busy baby duties, often after a night of scattered (or little) sleep. Of course, as of late, I've been spinning, which has changed my life dramatically, but that was only with the encouraging cooperation of a husband (he watches Belle when I go to the gym) who understands that a Shauntel who has worked out (hard) is a happier wife, mother, and just generally less cranky all around. But I have another little workout secret in my arsenal. At the recommendation of my sister-in-law, who also recently had a baby, I decided I'd try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

Pros:
*It's a twenty minute workout. Anyone can fit in twenty minutes. Whether the babies are napping or playing on the floor while you jump around, it's something a mom can definitely work with.
*There are three levels. I'm still doing Level One, mostly because I have it memorized and can do it while I watch something (Gilmore Girls) else. But also because Level Two frightens me. Point: It will last you a while as you work through each level, and with the change in levels, you get some variety.
*It is a great upper body workout - I can definitely see a difference in my arms and back.
*You do three circuits of strength, cardio, and abs, which is nice because it covers all areas.
*If you use it even just relatively faithfully, it's definitely cost effective. It's about $10 (I bought it on Amazon for $8.99), depending on where you buy it.

Cons:
*If you're already relatively slim and don't have much to lose, you might be able to get "shredded" by using this DVD alone. However, for someone like me who has tens of pounds to lose, this will definitely not be a miracle workout. (However, it is a great supplemental workout, especially in terms of strength training.)
*Jillian Michaels is kind of comical after about the second time you watch it. During the last circuit of crunches, it really doesn't help when she says: "Feel that knot in your stomach? That is fear leaving your body." Oh, that's what that is.
*You need two hand weights. I bought five pound weights (3-5 pounds is the recommended dosage). However you can also be creative here and use water bottles or other bottles full of liquid that you have on hand. (I'm serious.) Additionally, she tells you you need a mat, but if you're working out on carpet and you're cheap like me, a towel (or nothing) suffices. Especially if you skimp on the push ups. Which I may or may not do.

Review:
I've done Level One of the 30 Day Shred for over a month. I do it 4-5 times a week, even on the days I spin. I have definitely noticed a difference, and especially in the first few days, I was sore. However, my body craves hard cardio, and I am sure that the spinning is what has really made the difference for me. I couldn't tell you if I've lost any weight (I don't own scales and only step on them when asked to by a nurse, they just cause me to obsess about my weight more than I already do), but I can tell you that I feel better. My clothes fit better, I feel better, and my arms are definitely losing the pregnant appearance. (When I'm pregnant, all parts of me mirror my stomach.)

It's definitely worth the $10 you'll spend, especially if you have kids and want to have a go-to quick and effective work out.

Post Edit: I didn't mention that I've also changed my food intake a bit. Less calories and fewer treats. Nothing too drastic, but a definite change. I have always firmly believed that any successful lifestyle change (diet) involves both exercise and diet changes. And those changes should be relatively long term, not just a quick fix. But that's just me.

4 comments:

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

OK, so I picked this up a while ago (got it back out and dusted if off on your recommendation) and have been doing it for the past month as part of my awesome February and beyond.

I moved up to 8 lb hand weights and the last strength circuit is so friggin' hard, Holden laughs at me as I yell and grunt though the side lunge with lateral raises. (yes, I'm still on Level 1 too.)

"The neck is not invited to this party."

So here's my experience:
Once I was done pumping/"nursing", I have been doing some sort of workout 5 or 6 times a week... whether it's this video, a 20 minute run or yoga.

And you know I cut out meat, poultry and pork... and pretty much 95% of processed food (though I still enjoyed home made cookies, pizza etc)...but my eating for the betterment of the planet seems to be working. I went from 161 the end of January to 146.5 today.

I'm a believer - but between us, I think it's more diet than exercise.

Is that TMI?

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

I misspoke (or my scale is wrong)... it's actually 148.5... so two pounds difference. But still, it's more than 10 lbs so I am celebrating.

Btw, have you tired Jillian barefoot? Just a suggestion. ;)


Ohhh, my word verification says "elate" ... that's a good sign I think.

The Isoms said...

Ohh thanks! I like her and always wondered how her dvd's are.
I will have to go get one, I have about 10-15 pounds still, about 5 per kid :-/
Does it work the tummy area?

Shauntel said...

Sabrena: Agreed. I didn't mention in my post, and perhaps I should add an amendment, but my diet has changed as well. Less calories, and fewer treats. I think heavy cardio and a lower calorie diet is what did it for me. HOWEVER, I do think the Shred does something, especially in terms of toning.

Brittany: Yes, each circuit has specific ab work (crunches), and she incorporates your abs into the other portions (strength and cardio).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails