Thursday, May 29, 2008

eating etiquette


So at lunch yesterday, we tried unsuccessfully to tip our server. For the second time. The first time we didn't make it out of the restaurant. This time we put the coin on the table and literally ran.

We thought we were in the clear, but the cute waitress who was kind enough to speak perfect English to me and to bring us water when it was clear we weren't drinking the green stuff, came running down the street to catch up to us and return the money.

We're American, so I suppose we think that we can be ignorant and stupid and try to tip. But really, next time you're in Japan, just keep in mind that if you want to tip someone, not only do they consider it rude, but you're going to have to have a seriously quick get-a-way plan. Like your favorite taxi driver waiting with his automatic (yes, they're automatic here) door opened.

But don't worry, if you are indeed in Japan any time soon, you too can order your dinner out of a vending machine (pictured). Simply choose the picture you want, deposit the appropriate amount of money, and give your vending ticket to the server. And wall-ah. Dinner from a vending machine. Makes the whole language barrier thing much easier to cope with.

4 comments:

The Harrises said...

I'm truly amazed at the techy world you live in. I feel that America is so out of date when I look at these pictures, minus the David Bowie art. It's like you are experiencing Back to the Future McFly!

The Isoms said...

Quick n easy! But how does it TASTE?

Shauntel said...

Really good! But I love all Japanese food (as long as it's cooked - raw fish ain't my bag, although I'll swallow it if I have to). And they still cook and prepare it. Just makes the ordering SO much easier on the dumb American! :)

Kelly said...

As I recall, they don't tip in New Zealand either. Makes things a lot less complicated in my opinion!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails