Wednesday, October 8, 2008

the solution

So I watch CNN while I run. I can't really hear it because I still have my ipod in my ears helping my unwilling feet keep time, so I mostly just watch it, sometimes read the captioning. And for the last several weeks I've been watching the market TANK. It's like a big wooden spoon stirred up the economy to a nice creamy consistency then dumped it out, all over Wall Street.

Now I do not understand the stock market. Zero understanding. So for me, I look at this situation, and I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix. With the worldwide media coverage we have these days, the majority of the humans on this planet have access to some sort of form of media, even if it's simply by word of mouth. So why in the world don't we just publish in all newspapers, broadcast on all news stations all over the world a big fat message in like 72 point font that says: "Chill out. Stop freaking out. Just let things be for TWO SECONDS." I realize that this approach would not only put our men and women on Wall Street out of a job, but also make them extremely bored. However, their blood pressure would decrease, the pressure on the economy would decrease. And we could all just SETTLE DOWN.

I so missed my calling in life as an economist.

3 comments:

Snailbug said...

Life would be so simple if people would just listen to people like you and I. :)

singingrae said...

Amen! You ought to storm Wall Street and teach them a thing or two. While you're at it, you might speak to the media who are collectively creating the fear which is tanking the economy. Good grief. Maybe we ought to just elect you as Pres. :)
Hey, so glad you are checking out our blog. It is so nice to be able to catch up with you via the web. Are you guys heading home for Christmas? We'll be in Durham over New Years, will you?

Shauntel said...

Why in the world will you be here? I mean, we love Durham and all, but really... :)

I'm not sure about New Years - we are headed home for Christmas, and I don't think Jess has to be back in school until mid January. But if we are here, we'll have to get dinner or something.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails