Tuesday, February 3, 2009

good news from cravings land

For those of you who are pregnant or otherwise afflicted with a bodily need for Chili's chips and salsa, I have good news. No longer will your bum load of leftover chips (from Chili's to-go window) go to waste. Because you yourself can (closely) duplicate the salsa.

Possibly the best day ever for pregnant women everywhere.

Chili's Salsa

1 14.5 oz. can Ro-Tel (I used mild)
1 14.5 oz. can whole, peeled tomatoes, plus the juice
1 tsp. jalapenos (canned, diced, not pickled)
1/4 cup diced onion (I used white, I'd recommend yellow)
1 tsp. garlic salt (to taste)
1 1/2 - 2 tsp cumin (to taste)
1 tsp. sugar (to taste)

Place jalapenos and onions in processor; process for just a few seconds. Add both cans of tomatoes, salt, sugar and cumin. Process all ingredients until well blended, but do not puree. Place in covered container and chill. A couple of hours of chilling will help the flavors to develop. Serve with your favorite thin corn tortilla chips (Chili's are my favorite).

Listen, it isn't perfect, but who is, really. I think next time, I'll use a little more jalapeno. And I'm pretty sure a yellow onion would make the taste closer to right on. I also played with the spices until my superdog pregnant nose said it was just right.

Pregnant women, you're welcome. Rest of the world, you're welcome. For making the pregnant women in your life content for at least fifteen minutes while they inhale their fix of chips and salsa.

It's the least I could do, really. :)

3 comments:

The Harrises said...

If you do not like the smell of onions, does Jess make the salsa for you and then you consume or do you do the hold your nose trick?
Are you not drinking Dr. Pepper because of the parasite?

I'll use this as my reminder about New Beginnings as well. February 18th.

Shauntel said...

Dude, I haven't forgotten my speech. I'm all over it. Sort of. :)

I can tolerate onions these days. And yes, no caffeine for the mini parasite.

lean said...

I've learned that you can ask Chili's for extra salsa and they'll give it to you for no charge - at least they did last night... What you can do when you don't want to worry about making it. ; )

leeann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails