Tuesday, June 18, 2013

handmade critters


I can't believe I haven't blogged about these critters.

Let me back up. Every year for Christmas my mom pulls a giant rabbit out her hat. A thoughtful, usually handmade, and always time consuming gift. One year she compiled all our baby pictures, report cards, tithing slips, accomplishment certificates into binder(s). One year she gave Annabelle a phonics reading system. Like she wrote the system. Because why not?

This past Christmas, she was all giddy about a few boxes that she brought up, and she asked if the girls could open them while she was here (she was here just before Christmas). Of course I obliged and the girls were happy to open some early Christmas cheer. 


Out of those boxes came these critters. These homemade critters. Just like the blankies my girls treasure and trash with love, these little friends are crocheted, one by one, stitch by stitch.

They're ridiculous. It's the same kind of reaction you get when you see a tiny baby animal. Squeeeee. Both girls took a liking to their monkeys first and foremost. Annabelle named hers Jane and Lou's Jayna (creativity folks!). These monkeys even went to Hawaii with us. This morning I found them in their rooms playing with their Jane monkeys. And I couldn't resist some photos. 


I'm a sucker for handmade, thoughtful gifts. Especially the ones that come from my mama. These are the kinds of toys we'll hold on to forever.

After she gave them to the girls, I threw a minor tantrum because I didn't get any, and then convinced her to sell them in her Etsy shop. They're super durable and soft all at the same time. And the baby bird is a perfect baby shower gift, don't you think? :)

Oh hello mini Grandma.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails